Reviving the art of making small clothes and a class of dolls to wear them.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Patience and Prototypes



UGH! No pun intended.

This pair of doll boots, made from wool, fleece and coconut buttons, is my fourth attempt and they are still not right. When I flipped them right side out for a final time, I realized the buttons were on the front flap and the elastic loop button holes were on the back boot flap. Exactly opposite from what a real boot has. They also are a tad small.



The first feeling that hits is... really? I cannot use these, but need to make yet another pair. Slightly bigger and reversing the loop button situation.

This is often the case when producing the first of something a sweater pattern, a shoe, a dress or a doll. Some things still need to be corrected.

I have to remind myself I am working on a prototype. And prototypes take patience. I create a prototype not just to work out the big things, but also all the details. To have the patience to work these all out ahead of time, actually saves time. You kind of front load your errors in the prototype stage. The trick is to have the patience to stay in the prototype stage until you have ironed out all of the serious kinks.

Once in rare while, your very first attempt is exactly what you imagined. Yes, enjoy the euphoria when this happens, but also take note the euphoria is because this is the exception.

Four tries at dolls boots made me think.... I might have rushed through the prototype stage with my dolls too. This morning I started working on a more three dimensional head for the dolls. I am also rethinking how the arms work.

So nothing on Etsy for a while. Just patience on my part. Stay tuned for a bit of rethinking.

Opinions are always welcome!


1 comment:

  1. Can't believe how cute these miniature UGGs are! You are ingenious.

    ReplyDelete