Reviving the art of making small clothes and a class of dolls to wear them.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tuesday's Tools Discussion--Week One


After years of sewing I have developed a pretty good relationship with my tools. I know what I need when. I try not to be lazy when a particular something is not in reach, or even downstairs. The right gadget makes a huge difference to both my mood and the finished product.

Scissors, probably the most important sewing tool. A lot of sewing is cutting. Cutting fabric, threads, seams, patterns... Here are four of the five cutting tools I cannot live without for cutting on a small scale (I am saving a discussion of rotary cutters for a different time);

a. My itty bitty Gingher scissors. 4 inches long. Bought about a decade ago from Farmhouse Fabrics. Yes, I paid $50 for these little bitty scissors. Ten years later, they are still sharp and still so essential, so essential I wish I had a second pair. They are easy to lose. I use them to snip threads and thread. Not such an exciting task, made fun and accurate with these scissors. 

b. A basic X-Acto blade. I prefer this to the traditional seam ripper. You have to be accurate with the tip, change it often, but if you catch the right thread, ripping a seam can be much cleaner and quicker.

c. Heavy sharp pinking shears. These are not an expensive variety. I bought them on Amazon and don't advise spending a lot on pinking shears because they eventually dull and cannot be sharpened, so you will need a new pair. I finish most seams with my serger. But when it is impossible, due to the size or the curve. I will use these. The heft helps cut through several layers when you need to cut over a cross seam.

d. A medium weight sewing scissors. These Westcott ones came from Fabric.com. The larger ones are great, but not for sewing small.




No comments:

Post a Comment